Established in 1939, Morris Plains Cooperative Play School (“The Co-op”) is the oldest cooperative preschool in New Jersey. We are a private, nonprofit, nonsectarian, state-licensed preschool with certified teachers. Since the beginning, we have provided an exceptional educational environment for children, parents, and teachers to learn and grow together while families actively participate in their child’s preschool education.
The mission of the Morris Plains Cooperative Play School is to conduct a private, nonprofit nursery school under professional direction and teaching personnel for children age two and a half to pre-kindergarten, without regard to race, religion or sex. The school is committed to cultivating the social, emotional, intellectual, and physical growth of each child through developmentally-appropriate programs, methods and materials. The school’s child-center philosophy is based on a flexible approach to early education, a positive approach to discipline, a commitment to parent education, and the belief that children learn best through play.
At The Co-op, we hold a set of values that we strive to uphold each day, including:
- Ensure a curriculum that is child-centered, with the child as the initiator in the learning process and the teacher as the facilitator.
- Adhere to a policy of positive discipline.
- Foster a classroom atmosphere that is nurturing, comfortable, and fun.
- Strive to retain the most qualified and suitable staff, well-versed in early childhood education.
- Maintain the building and grounds so they are safe and well kept for the benefit of our children.
- Provide quality programs with reasonable tuition.
- Encourage parental involvement in all facets of the school’s operation.
- Aim to be a good citizen in the community.